Under construction....This post is missing some pictures, but it will be another couple of weeks before I can get home and get them all filled in so I decided to post it as is for now so you (especially some of you in Oregon and Illinois) can see some sort of update. Check back later for more.
I guess I should have put the title in red letters because it sure was that kind of week. Pops and Zanny (that is David and Suzanne...pronounced like Annie -- not Zany) gave us a wonderful week at the beach. What a treat! We got to spend time with the Cousin Harris and his mom and dad as well as try out life on the beach, in the pool and even take a whack at eating solid food. We have loads of pictures, but we'll post just a few.
I'll try to hit the high points.
The beach. The first day we went out, it was pretty windy, Marshall was about ready for a nap and he didn't last long. All the wind, waves and sand can get pretty overwhelming. He checked it all out, tolerated some photos and then let me know he was ready to head inside. The next time out, he had a little more fun.

Daddy and Boy under the umbrella

I guess I should have put the title in red letters because it sure was that kind of week. Pops and Zanny (that is David and Suzanne...pronounced like Annie -- not Zany) gave us a wonderful week at the beach. What a treat! We got to spend time with the Cousin Harris and his mom and dad as well as try out life on the beach, in the pool and even take a whack at eating solid food. We have loads of pictures, but we'll post just a few.
I'll try to hit the high points.
The beach. The first day we went out, it was pretty windy, Marshall was about ready for a nap and he didn't last long. All the wind, waves and sand can get pretty overwhelming. He checked it all out, tolerated some photos and then let me know he was ready to head inside. The next time out, he had a little more fun.
Daddy and Boy under the umbrella
Hmmm...maybe next year it will be more fun to bury the boy in the sand!

Relaxing in the sand - it will be SO much fun to clean it out of the swim suit and all the crevices!

Relaxing in the sand - it will be SO much fun to clean it out of the swim suit and all the crevices!
Hanging out with Zanny - Marshall's making sure the keys to the condo don't get lost!
The pool. A bigger hit than the beach. Its fun until you get water in your face and have to spit it all out. Marshall likes splashing the water and had fun kicking in his little float. When he kicked, he would giggle and keep going. I think we'll find a Y to join once we get back home!
Big Cousin. Harris is a source of constant entertainment for Marshall. He will gladly lie on the floor fascinated with how Harris can eat Cheerios and I'm pretty sure he was taking notes on how to stick them to his head and throw them on the floor (the pups will be thrilled!). The boys had fun around one another more than together. Harris liked petting Marshall and Marshall just wanted to get Harris (or anything or anyone else) in his mouth. Looks like the beginning of a beautiful cousinship!
The pool. A bigger hit than the beach. Its fun until you get water in your face and have to spit it all out. Marshall likes splashing the water and had fun kicking in his little float. When he kicked, he would giggle and keep going. I think we'll find a Y to join once we get back home!
Big Cousin. Harris is a source of constant entertainment for Marshall. He will gladly lie on the floor fascinated with how Harris can eat Cheerios and I'm pretty sure he was taking notes on how to stick them to his head and throw them on the floor (the pups will be thrilled!). The boys had fun around one another more than together. Harris liked petting Marshall and Marshall just wanted to get Harris (or anything or anyone else) in his mouth. Looks like the beginning of a beautiful cousinship!
Wow, Harris! You can move yourself around the room! How do you do that?
Hey, let me grab on to your hair and I'll show you my trick!
Ummm, Harris, have you been watching Ultimate Fighting with my dad?
The 4th! Marshall fell asleep before any big time fireworks, but we did get this family picture on the back porch of the living room. What a great location we stayed in - the beach was RIGHT THERE!

Solid (sort of) Food. At our last appointment the doc said that we could wait until 6 months to start solids, but then he would need to have the iron fortified rice cereal. I fully intended to wait until after his 6 month check up. BUT...she also said if he starts to show a lot of interest in food (like watching us intently while we are eating, etc.) that it would be good to start a bit sooner since he should be ready for it. For the past couple of weeks, I've been thinking that Marshall has been watching me while I eat - often I snack while he nurses so I was never sure and thought he might just be watching my hand or letting himself get distracted. I wanted David to be around for the first "meals" so I decided we would either determine he was ready and give him rice cereal at the beach or wait until Marshall and I get back from our upcoming trip to Texas. I was still on the fence.

One night David was holding Marshall while he ate dinner and we all watched as Marshall tracked his Daddy's every food-related movement with wide eyes and an open mouth. He would stare intently at David's fork and follow it with his eyes all the way to David's mouth while simultaneously opening his mouth and stretching his little hand up in an attempt to grab the fork. I decided - time for this boy to have solids.

Next morning - solids for breakfast (after an early morning nursing). He did great. In fact, he did so well we don't have any really funny pictures. Seemed to like it and gladly sucked back the runny cereal. The next day I made it thicker and he's doing really well with it.
The 4th! Marshall fell asleep before any big time fireworks, but we did get this family picture on the back porch of the living room. What a great location we stayed in - the beach was RIGHT THERE!
Solid (sort of) Food. At our last appointment the doc said that we could wait until 6 months to start solids, but then he would need to have the iron fortified rice cereal. I fully intended to wait until after his 6 month check up. BUT...she also said if he starts to show a lot of interest in food (like watching us intently while we are eating, etc.) that it would be good to start a bit sooner since he should be ready for it. For the past couple of weeks, I've been thinking that Marshall has been watching me while I eat - often I snack while he nurses so I was never sure and thought he might just be watching my hand or letting himself get distracted. I wanted David to be around for the first "meals" so I decided we would either determine he was ready and give him rice cereal at the beach or wait until Marshall and I get back from our upcoming trip to Texas. I was still on the fence.
One night David was holding Marshall while he ate dinner and we all watched as Marshall tracked his Daddy's every food-related movement with wide eyes and an open mouth. He would stare intently at David's fork and follow it with his eyes all the way to David's mouth while simultaneously opening his mouth and stretching his little hand up in an attempt to grab the fork. I decided - time for this boy to have solids.
Next morning - solids for breakfast (after an early morning nursing). He did great. In fact, he did so well we don't have any really funny pictures. Seemed to like it and gladly sucked back the runny cereal. The next day I made it thicker and he's doing really well with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment